Friday, January 11, 2013

Beef Enchilada casserole

Beef enchilada casserole

homemade tortillas in an electic tortilla maker

6 out of 8 exploded!
This is one of our family favorites! We probably make it every month. I normally make it with store bought white flour tortillas and it's great! I am trying to experiment with making my own tortillas. Above I tried to make some with half white and half multigrain. Not a success! At all! We still ate it all gone, but I'm afraid I am going to have to stick with white tortillas. I want to try to make them again with just white flour.

Beef Enchilada Casserole

Sauce
5T Butter
1/2 C all-purpose flour
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans (tomato sauce cans) water
1 tsp chili pd
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion pd
1/4 tsp garlic pd
1/2 tsp Beef Better than buillon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp sugar (evaporated cane juice sugar)

Melt butter and add chili pd, cumin pd, onion pd, and garlic pd.
Mix and cook for one minute.
Add flour and make a roux.
Add tomato sauce and cans of water and whisk together to make the sauce.
Bring the sauce to a boil to thicken.
Add the rest of the seasonings/ingredients.

Meat
1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion minced
1 garlic clove minced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can green chilies, diced

Brown the ground beef, then add the onion. Cook until onions are tender then add the garlic and saute it in the center for about one minutes. Then mix it all together. Then add the cream of mushrooms soup and chilies. Heat through. Divide this in the pan into two portions.

Other ingredients
8 oz shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
6-8 burrito-sized flour tortillas quartered

Layer a little sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 or 10 x 14 casserole dish. (We use the larger.)
Layer 2 - 2 1/2 tortillas broken up into quarters.
Layer the meat mixture, cheese, and sauce.
Then layer 2 - 2 1/2 more tortillas, meat, cheese, and sauce.
Then layer the last 2 - 2 1/2 tortillas, sauce and then top with cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbling.

Serve with sour cream and shredded/diced iceburg lettuce.

2 comments:

  1. I made this tonight. It is one of our favorites and we usually have it once a month also. My favorite part of the recipe is that it uses stuff that I almost always have on hand. I really like making the enchilada sauce from scratch and not having to have a can of that on hand since it is not something I buy. I have started adding a can of black beans to the meat mix and we all really like it and it give it more substance. I don't know if you realize but your recipe has morphed a little since you gave it to me when I got married. Mine says only 4T butter and twice the chili powder (2tsp) and no onion or garlic powder, although I do put a whole onion and a large garlic clove in the meat mixture. Mine also says 2 beef boullion cubes. Today I doubled it and took one to a girl in the ward that just had a miscarrige. It is a really good recipe to double. Does just one of these feed your family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, one pan will feed my family because I usually will do spanish rice on the side. I love the idea of adding a can of black beans but I have two boys who won't eat beans so I don't. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete